Radio has always been a part of my life. My father was very interested in radio, having taken classes in high school. In the Army, during the war, he was a radar repairman. He worked on some of the first military operational units overseas. At home, we had a Hallicrafters shortwave receiver and my Dad put together a Midland shortwave receiver in kit form. We spent many hours at night listening to foreign overseas broadcasts.

At Turlock High School, I took a class in radio from Les Johnson, a friend of my Dadís. I tried taking the test for a First Class Radio ticket, but couldnít maintain the speed required for CW operation.

As a student at MJC, I majored in Architecture and then Law Enforcement (my uncle was with MPD and thought I should go that route also). It was during this time that a few high school buddies had started their careers in radio. I began running around with a couple of guys. One was a night shift DJ at KTUR. I spent many nights at the small studio on Montpelier Rd. taking sign off meter readings for Glen. Another was a DJ for KHOM, KTUR, and KFIV. I helped him set up remotes for special events and other work.

When I enlisted in the Army, my test scores led me to a MOS in aviation electronics. After spending almost three years working on helicopters in Georgia and Vietnam, and having dabbled in this and that, I finally got a job at MJC.

At MJC, I helped form the Media Maintenance department, later known as Media Services. It was responsible for the repair and distribution of audio visual equipment. Later, I was the person responsible for the technical workings in the auditorium. Part of this job was installing and maintaining the KMJC/KRJC radio and production studio. Later came a TV training studio and a fully functional two camera color TV production studio. It was used to produce MJC promo stuff as well as community work.  Finally, I ended up in computers.

It was during this time that I met and later worked with Frank Azevedo, John Chappell and Wes Page. This was to work out to a thirty five year relationship.  I was the first of the four of us to retire, which, more or less, brings me to the present.
Meet Museum Board Member Dennis Larson
By Dennis Larson
Dennis Larson